FREE WEBINAR on LEARNING DISABILITIES (IN TAMIL)
Time & Location
About the Event
What is a Learning Disability?
Have you ever wondered why your child or a child in your class, while seeming smart and intelligent have difficulty with writing, reading, spelling, math, reasoning or even just paying attention to a task?
Learning disabilities or disorders is an umbrella term for a wide range of such academic or learning related difficulties. This simply means that some children or adults receive and process information a little differently than others leading to trouble with learning new information or skills. Many of us misunderstand children or adults with learning disabilities as being slow/dumb or lazy while it is important and essential to understand learning disability is not a problem with intelligence or motivation
What are some common signs of learning disability?
1. Problem with pronouncing words
2. Trouble finding the right word
3. Frequent spelling mistakes
4. Difficulty in reading text/print material/ written material
5. Trouble learning basic mathematical concepts
6. Difficulty following directions or learning routines
7. Poor handwriting
8. Poor organizational skills
Benefits of attending this session?
1. To understand early signs of learning disabilities
2. To know what parents, teachers and schools can do for children with learning disabilities.
3. To understand the importance of assessment, and exemptions available.
4. To be supportive and inclusive of children with learning disabilities.
About Hemalatha Elanko
Hemalatha has completed her post graduate degree in clinical psychology. She began her career as a psychologist working with special needs children and counseling parents and school professionals.
In 2015, she completed her M. Phil, with her research focusing on ‘how parental involvement has an impact on self-perception and social competence of children with learning disabilities’. Since then, she has been working with mainstream schools and counseling children with behavioural, emotional and academic difficulties. She extends her practice to parents and teachers as well.
She has designed curriculum’s and taught Life Skills as a subject to children across grade levels. Her desire is to help students build their character strengths as much as they focus and build their academics.
Hemalatha is fluent in English, Tamil & Kannada.
- Participation FreeINR 0INR 00INR 0